- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced white onion
- 1 cup of half and half
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of chicken broth
- 2 packages of frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 pound of Velveeta
- 8 ounces of your favorite shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
*Make sure to use medium heat while completing this recipe as you don't want your soup to scorch.
In a large saucepan melt together your butter, flour, and minced onions. I like to cut my onions as small as possible, because I don't want to eat a chunk of onion. You can dice your pieces instead if you prefer a larger piece. Cook those ingredients together for about a minute, and then slowly add in the half and half about 1/4 cup at a time, making sure to whisk constantly. When all of the half and half is incorporated add the frozen broccoli and Velveeta. When the cheese is completely melted, add chicken broth one cup at a time until soup is well mixed and has a consistent texture. Next you will add your shredded carrots and simmer soup for about 10 minutes. After ten minutes, add the shredded cheese then simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring ever so often to maintain consistency. Serve when all cheese if fully melted.
- If you are concerned about salt, you can use a low sodium chicken broth instead.
- If you have leftovers, make sure to place them in an airtight container. When reheating leftovers, you may want to add just a little milk before reheating, as the soup may become thick once refrigerated.
- This soup is excellent served in a bread bowl or with rolls. For a different twist, try this soup poured over a bed of rice or mixed with pasta.
Images via Google